Case analyses and applications of EU01, EU02 & EU03 (EU04)
"Jack of all trades" is a common description to a person who has the capability to become great at any field of expertise. The first three sections (EU01, EU02 & EU03) of Embrace Uncertainty will make you do just that - develop a frame of thinking that makes you acquire the necessary skills to smash seemingly indestructible problems. This sections outlines some of the most problematic situations that most I believe are in now after this pandemic:
- Losing your job or closing down your business
- Losing someone you love from COVID19
I would outline each situation as to how it will be perceived under the views of science and your ability to think EU01, embodying your shadow EU02 & being open and a stoic EU03 and provide suggestions to solve such. If you happen to not learn or read on the sections EU01, EU02 & EU03, it's best to do that first.
CASE 1: Losing your job or closing down your business
Post pandemic economic turbulence was the most common issue that I was able to encounter with my peers and helping in emergency travel hotline of the Cayman Islands Government. Shutting down airports and imposing month long lockdowns caused certain industries to deteriorate in an instant. The lack of certainty moving forward for affects a big chunk of society now more than ever. I assume that 80 to 90% of the people who reads the contents of Embrace Uncertainty fall into this category.
Science of thinking / EU01: Knowing that we have a biological component for solving problems really helps in developing the initial steps. Do not forget to exercise and eat well as your ability to think is predicated in a healthy state of body and mind. Do not get into a trap of dosing your brain with cortisol (stress) through social media or alcoholic drinking your way to the future. These examples will greatly deteriorate your assets and will contribute to you not finding another job or starting something a new business.
Your potential / EU02: Make sure that you understand the darkside of losing a job or failing a business. Think of it, you will not be able to provide for yourself for your family. You will be a problem to your parents. You can harm yourself or people around you. Remember that the rational mind fails to be rational if you forget that you have these capabilities. Accepting that you can become evil and stupid will make you smarter and try to control that part of you and jumpstart your natural abilities to be open to new options.
Openness and stoicism / EU03: You can't solve a problem that you know nothing. Educate yourself with economics, local and international politics and finance. But be careful, keep in mind to focus to what you can actually control. Like any stoic, your energy should be directed to actionable situations and not illusionary case that may or may not happen in the future.
- Take immediate action. The longer you procastinate over your plans, you'll create more stress and make yourself more unable to respond properly.
- Write your ideas. Written words have proven to be more simpler for the body and mind to follow than images in your brain. This method also allows for you to filter what is a great or bad idea.
- Reduce cost. Focus on the bare essentials as of the moment. End unnecessary subscription or downgrade them if needed.
- Start to taking into account what you know or resources that you still have. You'll be suprised to what you ought to neglect but is there and readily available. Great examples of this are backyards that can be converted mini gardens for handling produce.
- Eat a healthy diet. This will give you the energy that you need especially in this crisis. Consider looking into the ketogenic diet.
- Take note of organizations you know that can help you. There are a lot of them that realize the potential of businesses florishing again and that are looking to lend money to businesses.
- Have a great rest. Enough sleep makes our brain more capable. A lot of great people (like Albert Einstein) have been observed to maintain a healthy dose of sleep everyday just to maintain their pristine quality of thinking.
- The pandemic created a lot of space for something new to emerge as sources of livelihood. If you have the capacity to tap in your creative nature, reflect on that as you may find one of your natural talents fit for the needs of your environment and get paid in the process.
CASE 2: Losing someone you love from COVID19
The coronavirus pandemic have ended 292,000+ lives to-date of this writing. We cannot evade the future moving forward that this event have ended a lot of dreams entangled with the people who lost their fight against the virus. They have left their families, friends and a world looking yet for answers. If you are one of those people who have lost someone in this pandemic, hope you may find my analysis and recommendations suitable for your current situation.
Science of thinking /EU01: We are wired for social interaction. Our ability to maintain long term relationships and build unique experiences and opportunities like marrying your wife / husband or having and fostering children is truly a human experience. We are evolved to transcend human life into the future. Try to stay away from staying longer in a grieving state of mind. Fostering bad emotions can spiral to years of depressed body and mind states, incapable of taking great actions. Remember the great stories you enjoyed with your loved ones, treasure them and move forward to the future being thankful of the experiences you both shared.
Your potential / EU02: You can spiral into darkness very easily because of the loneliness and the void left by someone important. You can hurt yourself and people around you so try to move yourself, take action into sharing or writing your emotions. I'll go much deeper into this on later.
Openness and stoicism / EU03: Do not err on the side that it is the end of your world. Be open to new people entering your life. Do not shut down the realm of possibilities. Take your time to action, do not speed up too much until you get to a point that you feel that you are fully healed before making a big step. Death teaches us that we have limited time in this world and we should spend it wisely and responsively. Find the courage to move forward into the future.
- Write your emotions. Establish a daily habit of writing your emotions, it doesn't matter if it's either on paper or an electronic device. The routine itself is important for you to capture and understand each detail of what you feel. Think of it as a form of release from what your brain is screaming. Silence out your thouhgts everyday break them apart.
- Exercise. Build a robust aerobic exercise routine to keep regulate your body's system operating under normal levels.
- Pick a new skill. If you happen to have put off some pursuit of knowledge, this is the best time to tackle it and keep you moving forward in a measurable way.
- Read literature. Great stories enable that part of us to reflect on ourselves from another person's perspective. Continued practice unlocks our capactity to expand our world and progress.
- Avoid social media. Enough research supports to that prolonged social media use increase stress and does not do any good to our health. In a time that you need your body functioning well, it is vital to limit the stress triggers that can impact your recovery.
All problems that you are encountering have been solved by somebody else already, thus making your situation not unique. Find solitude that we humans can adapt to embracing big risks as long as we educate ourselves of the fundamentals and building your habits around them.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” - Aristotle
To end this section, let me emphasize that habits shape your character and your character develops the preconditions for opportunity to arise or magnify problems until they become unsolveable. Be mindful of what kind of information you feed your brain. The more garbage you put, eventually it will rot the great ideas inside of you and shape bad behaviour. Feeling lazy, bored or complaining are indicators of such.
I really hope the case analyses cited in this section became of help or provide some pattern to recognize and solve other situations.
Next section: Some thoughts, Recommendations (EU05)